Thursday 17 January 2013

Flashback: Childish Gambino- Camp



This is a bit of a cheat 'Flashback' because it's only from like 18 months ago (if that) but I'm doing it because it was my intention to do an 'Introducing' post on Childish Gambino but I never got around to it *slaps wrist*. Childish Gambino is one of my favourite rappers right now. The 29 year old is also a scriptwriter and actor and comedian. His debut 2011 album Camp was hot because it said something different: he has all the flavour and energy of more typical rappers but he is talking about relationships, growing up being one of the only black kids at a white school, and about the awkwardness and anxiety of feeling like you're constantly straddling two world's. He is super witty as he makes shrewd observations about society. It's a solid album with interesting flows and excellent production too. Here's one of my favourites, Heartbeat.





No comments:

Post a Comment