Wednesday 20 March 2013

NEW MUSIC: John Legend- The Beginning


'The Beginning' is the first taste of John Legend's forthcoming album, Love In The Future, and I really like it; but then, there is something about John legend's voice that makes it almost impossible for me to be critical of anything he does. I'm going to be as objective as I can. Some have found the song to be a bit drab and disappointing, but I think it's fitting.

Yes, it is a little bit on the soft, safe, (grown) pop-R&B side- but come on, can you really see Mr Legend jumping on the David Guetta fast train to the land of acid-R&B? Nope, neither can I.  And yes- the lyrics are riddled with clichés, but it's a love song- surely that's allowed. 'The Beginning' doesn't particularly pop or sparkle, but Legend's vocals sound amazing. Plus, I don't think it has ever been John Legend's aim to shock, or cut edges- this is a big, unashamed slice of easy listening R&B, and it works.

Do you agree?


No comments:

Post a Comment